09 March 2012

Spicy sweetcorn chowder

Hi all, sorry I haven't posted anything recently, life has got in the way and stopped me having time to blog. I have been cooking though and taking photos when I can, so hopefully I'll find time to post about the recipes before I forget how I made them.

I made this recipe this evening, and only just finished eating. It was really good and took less than 15 minutes to make from start to finish. Sorry about the photo, I wasn't going to write about it so I started eating, then decided it was nice so took a quick picture.

Spicy sweetcorn chowder

Serves 2-3
Olive oil
1 medium white onion
1 garlic clove
1 vegetable stock cube
1 mild red chilli (or to taste)
half a red bell pepper
1 340g tin sweetcorn (or frozen sweetcorn)
100ml milk (I used soya milk)
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
half tsp ground cumin
half tsp ground coriander
Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
  1. Add a dash of olive oil to a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Finely chop the onion and garlic and cook, stirring until turning translucent and taking on colour, about 7-8 minutes.
  2. Finely chop the red chilli and add to the onion garlic mix whilst it is cooking.
  3. Meanwhile, chop the red bell pepper into about 1.5cm chunks
  4. Throw in the stock cube, cumin and ground coriander and add some water until the onions are covered.
  5. Whizz up the cooked onions, garlic and spices with a hand blender (you can miss this part out, but I chopped my onions a little big. This stage also thickens the sauce nicely).
  6. Throw in the red pepper, sweetcorn and fresh coriander.
  7. Add the milk and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, so the pepper still has crunch but has softened.
  8. Taste for seasoning, and add black pepper (optional)
  9. Serve with bread, could be good with cheesy toast (just a random idea).
Most recipes call for potato, so you could add 1or 2 in when you are cooking the onions. Increase the cooking time by 5 minutes. Chop the potato into 1-2cm chunks. I didn't have any to hand, but still found it lovely without.

0 comments: