18 March 2012

Butterbean and beetroot bulgur wheat salad

I love beetroot, but I don't cook with it enough. I really want to make beetroot brownies sometime, I love the idea of earthy red beetroot with dark gooey chocolate, mmmm. Look out for this recipe, I might make some for my birthday to take into work. They already think I'm a little mad, so it probably won't help my reputation, but as Hugh says in the recipe link above, if carrot cake works so well, why not beetroot brownies?

This is a slightly healthier beetroot recipe. VERY quick and easy with few ingredients, and excellent the next day once the flavours have infused to take into work. If you don't have bulgur wheat then you could use quinoa or couscous, or even rice. It is very adaptable.

I made this recipe a little while ago so I'm not 100% sure I have included all the ingredients. As with all my recipes, experiment with flavors and see what works for you.

Butterbean and beetroot bulgur wheat salad

Serves 2
1 cooked beetroot, chopped (I buy the vacuum packed beetroot, NOT in vinegar)
Half a 400g can butterbeans, drained and rinsed
1 large tomato, chopped
3 blocks of thawed frozen spinach, or 2 handfuls fresh spinach, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
Lemon juice from 1 lemon
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
100g bulgar wheat
1 good quality vegetable stock cube (I use Kallo organic)
Salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper
Handful sunflower seeds 
  1. In a saucepan on a low heat, add the bulgar wheat and stock cube, cover with about double the amount of boiling water and let simmer.  
  2.  Chop the beetroot, tomatoes and spinach, and drain and rinse the butterbeans
  3. Mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice together, add a little salt and lots of black pepper
  4. Once the bulgar wheat is cooked (the water should have completely evaporated by the time the bulgar wheat is ready, about 4-5 minutes), place in a bowl and let cool
  5. Meanwhile, toast some sunflower seeds in a dry panover a medium heat until they begin to take colour, about 3-4 minutes
  6. Combine all the ingredients, add the dressing, toss, check seasoning and serve with the toasted sunflower seeds sprinkled on top


0 comments: