14 May 2012

Spinach Pesto pasta

I made this to carb load the night before my triathlon (yes I have now completed my first triathlon and am very smug, I came 8th). It was perfect because it had wholemeal carbohydrates for energy, protein from the nuts, iron from the spinach and olive oil for the heart. My pesto is vegan as I don't add cheese, but you can add some if you like.

This meal was a favorite in my student house as it is cheap. To make it cheaper I often use walnuts, sunflower seeds or mixed nuts instead of pine nuts.

Sorry about the picture, again I forgot to take a picture of the actual meal so this is a photo of the leftovers. The main meal also included a huge avocado salad and rye and spelt bread, mmm.

Spinach Pesto Pasta

Serves 3
180g Wholemeal pasta
2 large handfuls fresh spinach (or 4-5 blocks frozen spinach, thawed)
Handful fresh basil (optional, this meal did not include this)
Handful pine nuts (or other nuts or seeds)
1 clove garlic
Olive oil
Nutritional Yeast*/ Cheese (optional, I didn't use any but you can add some if you wish)
Salt and pepper
  1.  Place the wholemeal pasta in boiling salted water, cover and leave to cook according to packet instructions. Once cooked, drain.
  2. In a dry pan over a high heat, add the pine nuts (or alternative) and toast until they have taken on a golden colour. 
  3. Also add the garlic (skin still on) to the pan to cook a little to take away the strength of raw garlic. Once the garlic looks browned, crush and finely chop.
  4. In a blender or food processor, add the spinach, basil (if adding), toasted pine nuts, garlic, nutritional yeast/cheese (if using), salt and pepper. 
  5. Add about 1tbsp olive oil and begin to process. Slowly keep on adding olive oil until the ingredients have mixed and it has formed a paste. 
  6. Check seasonings, add to the cooked pasta and serve with a big salad and good bread.
*Nutritional yeast has a nutty savory flavour, similar to cheese. You can get it from most good health food stores. It is great in pesto, mashed potato, anything that needs that savory taste that cheese can bring.


0 comments: