14 February 2012

Pineapple and passion fruit crunch

My friend asked me to bring a dessert to hers on the night of her dinner party. I was at work, so I had to think fast. I remembered I had some tinned pineapple rings in my cupboard at home, and there was an abandoned passion fruit in our fruit bowl at work, so I began to think up recipe ideas using those two ingredients. I had been munching on my homemade cookies I had brought into work all day, so I wasn't in the mood for something really heavy. So I came up with a healthier version of a cheesecake, without the cheese.

After eating this I have thought of other ideas to improve it, but ultimately it was a dessert that pleased everyone, cheap to make and took only 20 minutes to prepare.Winner! I think instead of plain Greek yogurt, using coconut Greek yogurt would work excellently. Also maybe flambeing the pineapple with rum could be yummy. It would then adopt the well suited name of Caribbean crunch. Please note I haven't tried this, they are just ideas in my head.

Pineapple and passion fruit crunch

Serves 6-8
Pack ginger nut biscuits, smashed into pieces (still chunky)
50g butter
300g Greek yogurt (or coconut Greek yogurt for variation)
3-4 tbsp honey
1 large tin pineapple chunks
1 passion fruit
(Variation: sot of dark rum)
  1. Heat the butter in a saucepan and add the ginger nuts. Stir to cover and press into a dish about 10 inches by 6. Place in the fridge (or freezer to speed things up)
  2. Heat a griddle pan on a high heat. Drizzle some of the honey over the pineapple rings and place the rings in the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they brown where they touch the griddle pan. (For variation add rum to hot pan and simmer off). Place on a plate and place in the fridge (or freezer) to cool.
  3. Mix the Greek yogurt in a bowl with the rest of the honey. 
  4. Take the ginger nut base out of the fridge and pour on the Greek yogurt.
  5. Place the pineapple rings on top of the yogurt.
  6. Slice the passion fruit in half and drizzle over the pineapple. 
  7. Ready to serve in under 20 minutes.

0 comments: